Here’s the quick answer to the question you’ve been meaning to ask: The Civilization 6 Release Date has not yet been announced and its development has not yet been announced either.
Considering that the first expansion for Sid Meier’s Civilization V (entitled Civilization V: Gods and Kings) was released on June 19, 2012 in the United States and that it is more than likely that there will be a second and maybe a third expansion, Civilization 6 will probably not be released before 2014 and more likely somewhere around October or November 2015.
In the past, the Civilization video game producers have released 3 expansion packs for Civilization 2 and 4 and they have released 2 expansion packs for Civilization 3 which makes it likely that they will stay on the same track and release at least 2 or 3 expansion packs.
The Release Dates for the previous versions of Civilization
Sid Meier’s Civilization series is one of the most popular Video Game series to ever be developed. In order to predict when the next game will be released, it is helpful to look at when the previous versions were released. Therefore, here are the release dates for all the Games and Expansion packs that have been released in the past.
Release Date: Late 1991
Developed for PC (Windows)/Dos.
Release Date: February 29, 1996
Developed for PC (Windows)/Dos but later adapted for Macintosh Amiga, Sega Saturn, Atari ST, Super NES and Playstation.
- The first expansion set for Civilization II was released in 1996 and entitled “Civilization II: Conflicts in Civilization”.
- The second expansion set was released in 1997 and entitled “Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds”
- The third expansion set was released on July 31, 1997 and was entitled “Civilization II: Test of Time”.
Release Date: October 30, 2001
Developed for PC (Windows) and Mac OS.
- The first expansion pack for Civilization III was released in 2001 and entitled “Civilization III: Play The World”.
- The second expansion pack was released in 2003 and entitled “Civilization III: Conquests”.
Release Date: October 25, 2005
Developed for PC (Windows) and Mac OS (Released for the Mac on June 30, 2006)
- The first expansion set for Civilization IV was released on June 24, 2006 and entitled “Civilization IV: Warlords”.
- The second expansion set was released in on July 23, 2007 and entitled “Civilization IV: Beyond the Swords”
- The third expansion set was released on September 2008 and was entitled “Civilization IV: Colonization”
Release Date: July 8, 2008
Civilization Revolution was developed for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, iOS (iPhone and iPad) as well as the Windows Phone.
Release Date: September 21, 2010
Developed for PC (Windows) and Mac OS (Released for the Mac on November 23, 2010)
- The first expansion set for Civilization V is set to be released on June 19, 2012 and entitled “Civilization V: Gods and Kings”.
Civilization 6 Release Date
Release Date: To Be Announced
When should be the Civilization 6 Release Date?
There were 5 years between the release of Civilization I and Civilization II, 5 years between Civ II and III, 4 years between Civ III and IV and 5 years between Civ IV and Civ V. By assuming that Firaxis will keep releasing the new games from it’s Civilization series at the same pace, it is likely that Civilization VI will be released somewhere around October and November 2015.
Although everything is purely an interpretation based on past releases, as soon as a release date is announced for Civilization 6, we will update this site to keep you up-to-date!